Saudi Arabia Tightens Mecca Traffic Ahead of Hajj Season

7 hours ago 4

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta – The Saudi government is tightening security and traffic regulations ahead of the implementation of the 1447 Hijri Hajj pilgrimage by restricting access to Mecca and the holy sites for individuals without official Hajj permits.

Mohammed Al-Bassami, Director General of Public Security and Chairman of the Hajj Security Committee at the Saudi Ministry of Interior, said authorities have deployed large-scale personnel and resources to ensure the safety of pilgrims from arrival to departure.

Al-Bassami made the statement at a joint press conference of Hajj security force commanders at the Integrated Security Operations Center in Mecca on Friday, May 22, 2026.

“The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has deployed a large number of human and material resources to ensure the safety of pilgrims from their arrival to their departure,” he said, as quoted by Antara.

According to him, security forces are also strengthening surveillance to prevent criminal acts, curb pickpocketing, and regulate vehicle traffic in central Mecca during the pilgrimage season.

Al-Bassami emphasized that authorities continue to monitor and dismantle illegal Hajj practices, including fake pilgrimage campaigns and unofficial domestic travel agents. “Anyone caught transporting individuals without official Hajj permits may face up to 6 months in prison, a fine of up to 50,000 Saudi riyals for each violator, and the seizure of the vehicles used,” he said.

He added that foreign violators will be deported immediately and banned from re-entering Saudi Arabia for 10 years.

In the same press conference, Hamoud Al-Faraj said all operational preparations and emergency response measures have been completed. Field operations, he added, are coordinated through the sacred area operations center and the command center in Mina.

Meanwhile, the Directorate General of Passports of Saudi Arabia said a total of 1,518,153 international pilgrims have arrived in the kingdom so far. Of that number, 1,457,514 arrived by air, 54,141 by land, and 6,497 by sea.

Read: Saudi Arabia: 1.5 Million Join Hajj Pilgrimage Despite War

Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News


Saudi Arabia: 1.5 Million Join Hajj Pilgrimage Despite War

22 jam lalu

Saudi Arabia: 1.5 Million Join Hajj Pilgrimage Despite War

Saudi Arabia has been directly hit by missiles and drones during the Iran war, but the country is hosting the all-important Muslim pilgrimage anyway.


Indonesia Strengthens Services in Mecca in Anticipation of Hajj Peak

6 hari lalu

Indonesia Strengthens Services in Mecca in Anticipation of Hajj Peak

Indonesian regular hajj pilgrims are now in Mecca to prepare for the peak of the hajj rites, and the government is concentrating its efforts to strengthen services in Mecca to support their readiness for the core phase of the pilgrimage.


Hajj Update: First Wave of Indonesian Pilgrims Leave Medina for Mecca

7 hari lalu

Hajj Update: First Wave of Indonesian Pilgrims Leave Medina for Mecca

The departure process of the hajj pilgrims went smoothly.


Indonesian House to Monitor Hotels, Catering for Hajj Pilgrims

12 hari lalu

Indonesian House to Monitor Hotels, Catering for Hajj Pilgrims

The Indonesian House of Representatives (DPR) monitoring team will ensure that all agreements on hajj services are implemented.


Indonesia Reports 20 Hajj Pilgrim Deaths in Saudi Arabia

13 hari lalu

Indonesia Reports 20 Hajj Pilgrim Deaths in Saudi Arabia

Ichsan stated that the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah continues to remind pilgrims to discipline themselves in maintaining their health amidst the hot weather conditions in Saudi Arabia.


Minister Airlangga: Rupiah Decline Common in Hajj Season

17 hari lalu

Minister Airlangga: Rupiah Decline Common in Hajj Season

Airlangga said currency depreciation is not unique to rupiah and is common across countries, particularly during the annual Hajj season.


Illegal Hajj Risks: Saudi Arabia Issues 10-Year Entry Ban

20 hari lalu

Illegal Hajj Risks: Saudi Arabia Issues 10-Year Entry Ban

Risks of legal consequences for performing hajj without a hajj visa. What are they?


Hajj 2026: Seven Indonesians Pass Away in Medina

21 hari lalu

Hajj 2026: Seven Indonesians Pass Away in Medina

By the 12th day of hajj operations, the Ministry has recorded 175 groups, totaling 68,082 pilgrims and 697 officials, departing for Medina.


Foreign Ministry: Three Indonesians Arrested in Mecca Over Hajj Fraud

23 hari lalu

Foreign Ministry: Three Indonesians Arrested in Mecca Over Hajj Fraud

Indonesia's Foreign Ministry says KJRI in Jeddah reports 3 suspected Indonesians arrested in Mecca on April 28.


Bus Carrying Indonesian Hajj Pilgrims Crashes in Medina

24 hari lalu

Bus Carrying Indonesian Hajj Pilgrims Crashes in Medina

According to the latest report, a total of 10 Indonesian hajj pilgrims were injured.


Read Entire Article
International | Nasional | Metropolitan | Kota | Sports | Lifestyle |