US Asks Indonesia Not to Halt Imports Amid Cesium-137 Contamination Issues, Says Minister

2 weeks ago 7

November 14, 2025 | 11:29 pm

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Coordinating Ministry for Economic Affairs has addressed the impact of Cesium-137 (Cs-137) contamination on bilateral trade between Indonesia and the United States. According to Edi Prio Pambudi, Deputy for Economic and Investment Coordination at the Ministry, the Indonesian government has emphasized to the U.S. that the contamination case cannot be used as a basis for banning imports of all Indonesian products.

Edi stated that the U.S. government has made a reciprocal request, asking Indonesia not to halt all imports from the U.S. should any of its products be contaminated.

"Currently, we are concerned that some of our goods are contaminated, but the United States has not yet raised concerns that all products from Indonesia will be contaminated with Cesium-137," Edi told reporters at the Coordinating Ministry office in Jakarta on Friday, November 14, 2025.

Previously, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) identified radioactive contamination of Cs-137 in shrimp and cloves exported from Indonesia. More recently, the US returned two containers of footwear products, also suspected of being contaminated with radioactive Cs-137. The radioactive source was traced back to scrap metal found in the Cikande industrial area of Banten.

This contamination discovery coincides with Indonesia's ongoing reciprocal tariff negotiation process with the U.S. Edi affirmed that the government remains committed to improving all regulations that hinder trade.

"Because what has been questioned so far is the high number of permits that subsequently create uncertainty and increase the cost of their trade, which is the cause for complaint," he said.

In a related development, Minister of Industry Agus Gumiwang Kartasasmita stated that the Cs-137 radiation exposure in the Modern Cikande Industrial Estate (MCIE) area in Serang, Banten, has been declared clean. Agus confirmed receipt of a letter from the Nuclear Energy Regulatory Agency (Bapeten) stating that the Cs-137 exposure in the industrial area is no longer an issue.

"The radioactive issue is already clear, and we have also received a letter from Bapeten stating that it is no longer an issue," Agus said in Jakarta on Wednesday, November 12, 2025, as quoted by Antara.

As a follow-up, the Ministry of Industry has issued instructions through the National Industrial Information System (SIINas) to all industrial sectors, especially those in metal, food, and beverage, requiring them to submit regular reports every three months. These reports must include the results of monitoring radioactive levels in each company's production processes.

Editor's Choice: Walmart Ready to Help Restore Indonesia's Product Reputation After Cesium-137 Case

Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News



Indonesia Destroys Over 19,000 Bales of Second-Hand Clothing from China, Japan

8 jam lalu

Indonesia Destroys Over 19,000 Bales of Second-Hand Clothing from China, Japan

The Ministry of Trade has destroyed a large amount of second-hand clothes that were confiscated from several importers.


List of 29 Teams Advancing to 2026 World Cup Finals, France the Latest

9 jam lalu

List of 29 Teams Advancing to 2026 World Cup Finals, France the Latest

For the final round of the 2026 World Cup, 29 teams have advanced to the final rounds, alongside host countries.


U.S. Reportedly Knows of Israel's Human Shield Use in Gaza, West Bank

1 hari lalu

U.S. Reportedly Knows of Israel's Human Shield Use in Gaza, West Bank

The United States reportedly has evidence that since last year, the Israeli army has been using Palestinians as human shields.


White House Denies Plans for US Military Base on Gaza Border

1 hari lalu

White House Denies Plans for US Military Base on Gaza Border

The White House denies reports that the United States plans to build a $500 million military base at the Gaza border.


Current Condition of Charoen Pokphand's Cikande Factory After Cesium-137 Contamination

1 hari lalu

Current Condition of Charoen Pokphand's Cikande Factory After Cesium-137 Contamination

In addition to PT Charoen Pokphand, the government has completed the decontamination of all factories contaminated with Cesium-137.


US Warship Nears Latin America Amid Rising Tensions

1 hari lalu

US Warship Nears Latin America Amid Rising Tensions

The USS Gerald R. Ford joins warships in the Caribbean as the Trump administration ramps up its "drug war."


Walmart Ready to Help Restore Indonesia's Product Reputation After Cesium-137 Case

1 hari lalu

Walmart Ready to Help Restore Indonesia's Product Reputation After Cesium-137 Case

In addition to meeting with Walmart representatives, Indonesia's Cs-137 Task Force also held discussions with American seafood associations.


US Returns Indonesian Footwear Products Over Radioactive Cesium-137 Contamination

1 hari lalu

US Returns Indonesian Footwear Products Over Radioactive Cesium-137 Contamination

The return of two containers of allegedly contaminated shoes from the US to Indonesia due to the presence of radioactive Cesium-137


Indonesian Gov't Urged to Control Illegal Imports to Revive Textile Industry

1 hari lalu

Indonesian Gov't Urged to Control Illegal Imports to Revive Textile Industry

The influx of imported goods in Indonesia has swarmed the domestic market after 2022 and has hit the textile industry.


Industry Minister Declares Cikande Free of Cesium-137 Contamination

2 hari lalu

Industry Minister Declares Cikande Free of Cesium-137 Contamination

The official confirmation from the Bapeten signaled that the Cesium-137 exposure in the industrial zone is "no longer an issue."


Read Entire Article
International | Nasional | Metropolitan | Kota | Sports | Lifestyle |