November 13, 2025 | 07:54 pm

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Italian authorities are investigating allegations that Bosnian Serb forces organized 'human safaris' in Sarajevo during the Bosnia war in the 1990s.
As reported by The Sun on Wednesday, wealthy tourists abroad, including Italy, the United States, and Russia, were reportedly paying for bloody excursions on weekends where they could shoot innocent civilians.
If they wanted to hunt children, an extra fee would be charged.
"We are talking about wealthy people, with reputations – businessmen – who during the siege of Sarajevo paid to kill unarmed civilians. They left Trieste for a manhunt and then returned to their respectable daily lives," said Ezio Gavazzeni, a journalist based in Milan who triggered the official investigation.
Gavazzeni, the reporter who brought attention to this case, is supported by former judge Guido Salvini and Benjamina Karic, the mayor of Sarajevo from 2021 to 2024.
More than 10,000 people were killed in Sarajevo between 1992-1996 due to attacks and sniper fire, in the longest siege of a capital city in modern warfare history.
The tourists, said to be depraved gun enthusiasts from the extreme right-wing circles, allegedly paid Bosnian Serb forces between 70,000- 88,000 pounds or around Rp1.5 billion to Rp1.9 billion for the 'weekend sniper' trips, according to the newspaper La Repubblica.
Documentary Revelations
Prior to this, allegations of these inhumane actions emerged in a 2022 documentary titled "Sarajevo Safari." The film was made by Miran Zupanic, a filmmaker from Slovenia.
In the film, he compiled testimonies of wealthy tourists visiting the city for blood sport.
According to a review on AJB DOC, "[Sarajevo Safari] is one such story, shocking, incredible, and at the same time dark and pessimistic. The truths about the siege of Sarajevo presented in this honest and brutal documentary."
Sniper Alley
The foreigners would fly from Trieste in Italy to Belgrade with the Serbian airline Aviogenex, before continuing the journey to the hills around Sarajevo.
From there, they would take aim at Bosnian civilians passing through the streets below.
The cost would be higher if they wanted to shoot children dead.
Meša Selimovi Boulevard, the main road leading to the city, was dubbed "Sniper Alley" because it was highly risky to cross.
The residents lived in constant fear of being randomly shot during those years, with most of the killings carried out by Bosnian Serb soldiers themselves.
The tourists allegedly paid money to troops from Radovan Karadi’s army.
Karadi, 80, was sentenced to 40 years in prison in 2016 for charges of genocide and other crimes against humanity.
The Bosnian Prosecutor's Office appears to have set aside previous investigations into 'sniper shooting tourism' due to the difficulty of conducting them in a country still ravaged by war, said Gavazzeni.
Italian Public Prosecutor Alessandro Gobbi is believed to have a list of several individuals who can provide testimonies and may be called upon to testify.
Gavazzeni said that there could be up to 100 tourists involved in the weekend sniper tours.
“I hope they can locate at least one or two, maybe 10," he said.
The case mentions a businessman from Milan who owns a private cosmetic surgery clinic, as well as citizens from Turin and Trieste.
Editor’s Choice: Indonesia, Bosnia Agree on Economic Cooperation to Boost Welfare
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
U.S. Reportedly Knows of Israel's Human Shield Use in Gaza, West Bank
20 menit lalu

The United States reportedly has evidence that since last year, the Israeli army has been using Palestinians as human shields.
Satellite Images Show Israel Destroyed 1,500 Buildings in Gaza After Ceasefire
8 jam lalu

The Israeli military has destroyed over 1,500 buildings in Gaza since the ceasefire agreement took effect last month
Israel Rejects Turkish Role in Proposed Multinational Gaza Force
2 hari lalu

The Israeli government has affirmed that Turkish troops will not be part of the planned multinational force for Gaza.
Turkey Issues Genocide Arrest Warrants Against Netanyahu, Israeli Officials
5 hari lalu

Turkey issues arrest warrants for Israeli PM and 36 officials over Gaza genocide and crimes against humanity in the enclave.
US: Israeli Military Lawyers Warn of War Crimes Evidence in Gaza
5 hari lalu

A report on US intelligence from last year reveals that Israeli military lawyers warned of evidence that support allegations of war crimes in Gaza.
Pope Leo XIV Meets Mahmoud Abbas to Discuss Gaza Aid
6 hari lalu

A day before the meeting with Pope Leo XIV, President Mahmoud Abbas visited the late Pope Francis' tomb at the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore.
Italy Crowned World's Best Culinary Destination for 2025
6 hari lalu

Italian cuisine is celebrated for its simplicity, high-quality ingredients, and iconic dishes.
Death Toll of Bosnia Retirement Home Fire Climbs to 12
6 hari lalu

A retirement home in Bosnia and Herzegovina caught fire, leading to the death of 12 residents.
Fadli Zon: No Evidence Soeharto Was Involved in Indonesia's 1965-1966 Mass Killings
8 hari lalu

Indonesia's Minister of Culture Fadli Zon states that Soeharto has met the requirements to receive the title of National Hero.
ICC Prosecutor Says Sudan Violence Could Amount to War Crimes
9 hari lalu

The ICC prosecutor warns that the atrocities in El Fasher, Sudan, could constitute war crimes and crimes against humanity.







































