November 19, 2025 | 01:47 pm

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Freeport-McMoRan targets to restore the operations for the Grasberg Block Cave underground mine owned by PT Freeport Indonesia (PTFI) in the second quarter of 2026. The company is speeding up the recovery process after a landslide that temporarily halted some activities.
"Our team is committed to restoring large-scale, low-cost production at Grasberg in a safe, efficient and responsible manner. We have incorporated the learnings from the recent tragic incident into our future plans and are implementing several initiatives to address the conditions that led to the incident," said Freeport President and CEO Kathleen Quirk, quoted from a written statement on Wednesday, November 19, 2025.
On September 8, 2025, a landslide swept the Grasberg Block Cave underground mine, resulting in the death of seven workers and halted production for nearly a month. The search for the victims lasted for 27 days before the company began gradually restoring operations.
Freeport Indonesia resumed ore production from the Deep Mill Level Zone and Big Gossan underground mines since the end of October 2025. Both areas were not affected by the incident and became the temporary focus of the production.
Quirk estimates that PTFI's copper and gold production in 2026 will not differ significantly from the 2025 be significantly different from the 2025 projection. Throughout the year, PTFI aims to produce around 1 billion pounds of copper and 0.9 million ounces of gold.
Production is expected to continue increasing throughout 2026 and 2027. For the period from 2027 to 2029, the average annual production target is set at 1.6 billion pounds of copper and 1.3 million ounces of gold.
Quirk added that the company has scheduled a conference with securities analysts today at 10:00 Eastern time. In the agenda, management will present the progress in handling the incident, future operation plans, and updates on FCX's global business. The live broadcast and presentation material are available through fcx.com, while the recording can be accessed until December 19, 2025.
Indonesia's Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (ESDM) has previously confirmed that PT Freeport Indonesia has resumed mining operations at its Grasberg site following last month's deadly landslide.
Production at the Deep Mill Level Zone (DMLZ) and Big Gossan blocks has restarted after being temporarily halted as a safety measure when a landslide struck the underground Grasberg Block Cave (GBC) area.
Tri Winarno, Director General of Minerals and Coal at the Energy Ministry, said the government completed its evaluation and issued permits allowing the two sites to operate again.
While the landslide did not directly affect DMLZ or Big Gossan, Freeport halted all underground activities to ensure worker safety.
“Now the DMLZ and Big Gossan blocks are operational,” Tri told reporters at the Parliament complex on Thursday, November 13, 2025.
Output from both mines will again supply Freeport’s smelter in Gresik, East Java, which had faced a shortage of feedstock during the shutdown.
Tri acknowledged that production from the two blocks alone remains insufficient to meet the smelter’s full capacity but said the restart is an important step toward stabilizing the downstream program.
The landslide in the GBC underground mine occurred on September 8, 2025, killing seven workers and bringing operations to a standstill for nearly a month. Search and recovery efforts lasted 27 days before the company began gradually reopening parts of the mine.
In 2024, Freeport produced an average of 208,356 tons of ore concentrate per day across its operations, including copper, gold, and silver.
The GBC mine contributed the largest share at roughly 133,800 tons per day, accounting for about 64 percent of total output, followed by DMLZ at around 64,900 tons per day and Big Gossan at approximately 8,000 tons per day.
Editor’s Choice: Landslide at Freeport Indonesia Disrupts Gold Supply to Antam
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
Today's Top 3 News: Landslides in Banjarnegara Isolate 45 Residents, Hundreds Take Refuge
1 hari lalu

Here is the list of the top 3 news on Tempo English today.
Indonesia's BPS: Global Geopolitical Risks Fueling Surge in Gold Prices
1 hari lalu

PT Antam data shows gold sales from January to September 2025 reached 34,164 kilograms, or 1,098,398 troy ounces.
Indonesia Imposes 7.5-15% Export Duty on Gold
1 hari lalu

Several commodities, including dore, granules, ingots, cast bars, and minted bars, will be subject to gold export duties.
Congo Bridge Collapse Leaves Dozens Dead
1 hari lalu

A bridge collapsed at a copper mine in Congo, burying dozens of people.
BNPB: Landslides in Banjarnegara Isolate 45 Residents, Hundreds Take Refuge
2 hari lalu

A landslide in Banjarnegara, Central Java, Indonesia, on Saturday, November 15, 2025, has left dozens of residents isolated and hundreds taking refuge
BNPB Uses Weather Modification to Speed Up Cilacap Landslide Search
2 hari lalu

Indonesia's National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) is modifying the weather to expedite search for the missing victims of the Cilacap landslide.
Trump Seals Tariff Deal with Switzerland, Reportedly After Flattered with Gifts
2 hari lalu

President Donald Trump faced criticism after reportedly imposing tariff cuts for Switzerland following lavish gifts.
Today's Top 3 News: Trump's Middle East Envoy Plans New Meeting with Hamas Official
2 hari lalu

Here is the list of the top 3 news on Tempo English today.
Cilacap Landslide Buries 6.5 Hectares of Land, 9 People Dead
3 hari lalu

Rescue teams are still searching for dozens of landslide victims in Cilacap, Indonesia.
Prabowo Instructs Emergency Response for Landslide Victims in Cilacap, Indonesia
3 hari lalu

Indonesian President Prabowo has instructed the BNPB to expedite emergency response efforts for the landslide in Cilacap, Central Java.













































