November 26, 2025 | 09:49 am

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - US President Donald Trump's envoy for Africa, Massad Boulos, on Tuesday urged Sudan's rival commanders to accept an international ceasefire proposal "without preconditions" in a conflict that has devastated the country for more than two years.
His appeal comes as diplomatic efforts intensify after Trump said last week he would personally engage in efforts to end the war.
What has been the response to the Sudan peace proposal?
The latest truce proposal, presented on behalf of the US, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Egypt, has not been released publicly.
However, Sudanese army chief Abdel Fattah Burhan called it "unacceptable," while his rival and former deputy, Rapid Support Forces (RSF) leader Mohamed Hamdane Daglo, announced a unilateral three-month humanitarian ceasefire on Monday.
However, on Tuesday the army said it had fended off an attack on a base in Babanusa in West Kordofan state, the war's newest frontline.
"We are calling on both parties to accept the humanitarian truce as presented without preconditions," Boulos said in Abu Dhabi, adding that neither side had approved the text. "We would like them to accept the specific text that was presented to them."
Boulos spoke alongside Emirati presidential adviser Anwar Gargash, days after Burhan accused the mediation of bias because the UAE — widely accused of supporting the RSF — is part of the process. Abu Dhabi denies supplying weapons, fighters or fuel to the RSF despite evidence cited in international reports and independent investigations.
On Sunday, Burhan had said the proposal transmitted by the US envoy was "the worst," and claimed Boulos had adopted Emirati "talking points." Boulos dismissed the accusation, saying Burhan was referring "to something that does not exist" and that he had "no idea" about. "We need to ignore these comments and these remarks and focus on the essential issue, which is the humanitarian crisis," he added.
Daglo had announced his unilateral truce "in response to international efforts, particularly the initiative of President Donald Trump and the mediators." Earlier in November, the RSF had accepted the principle of a humanitarian truce proposed by mediators, but the army did not respond, and fighting has continued.
How has the conflict in Sudan progressed?
Since April 2023, the war — marked by atrocities on both sides — has killed tens of thousands of people and displaced millions. The UN describes the situation as the world's "worst humanitarian crisis."
On Tuesday, Amnesty International accused the RSF of war crimes, including summary executions of unarmed men and sexual violence against women and girls during the group's recent capture of El-Fasher. The organization also denounced what it called Emirati "support" for the paramilitary force.
Marit Maij, a Dutch member of the European Parliament, told DW that some of the weapons used by the RSF had been traced back to Europe through the UAE, and that an arms embargo on the UAE should be considered.
"We want to make sure if weapons are being produced in Europe, that these weapons are not being abused in these kinds of wars," Maij said.
Over the past two years, Sudan's warring parties have violated subsequent ceasefire agreements, undermining multiple international negotiation efforts.
Editor’s Choice: UN Welcomes Aid Supply Talks with Sudan Army
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
Global Aid Crisis Dire as Winter Nears for Millions in Need
10 hari lalu

Millions of refugees in camps and informal settings around the world will feel the loss of billions in aid funding as winter approaches.
UN Food Agencies List 16 Areas at Risk of Famine
13 hari lalu

Two UN organizations are seeking to double their funding to prevent catastrophe, amid US cuts to international aid groups.
UN Welcomes Aid Supply Talks with Sudan Army
14 hari lalu

UN diplomat Tom Fletcher was in Port Sudan, looking to secure better supply of aid to the war-torn country that's partly controlled by RSF militia.
Over 150 Sudanese Women Sexually Assaulted Fleeing El-Fasher Violence
15 hari lalu

Currently, there are more than 150 women in Sudan reported to have been victims of rape and sexual assault while fleeing the city of El-Fasher.
Sudan: RSF Agrees to Humanitarian Ceasefire
19 hari lalu

The Rapid Support Forces said they had to agreed to enter into a humanitarian truce proposed by the US, Egypt, UAE and Saudi Arabia.
Sudanese Ambassador Accuses UAE and Allies of Fueling Resource War
20 hari lalu

Yassir Mohamed Ali accuses the United Arab Emirates and its allies of sparking a conflict in Sudan to control gold and African trade routes.
Acute Famine Confirmed in Two Besieged Sudan Cities
21 hari lalu

El Fasher and Kadugli, two cities in Sudan, are now facing acute famine after months of RSF forces' siege.
ICC Prosecutor Says Sudan Violence Could Amount to War Crimes
21 hari lalu

The ICC prosecutor warns that the atrocities in El Fasher, Sudan, could constitute war crimes and crimes against humanity.
Sudan Seeks International Trials Against RSF over War Crimes
22 hari lalu

Sudan urges international courts to take action in response to the civil war with RSF paramilitary forces.
Sudan: Foreign Ministers Decry 'Apocalyptic' Atrocities
23 hari lalu

The civil war in Sudan has not received enough global attention, the foreign ministers of Germany, Britain and Jordan said.













































