November 28, 2025 | 10:53 am

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Severe floods and landslides in Central Tapanuli Regency, North Sumatra, Indonesia, have killed at least 34 people, left dozens missing, and isolated thousands of households. The disaster has affected all sub-districts in the region, prompting urgent evacuation and emergency relief efforts.
Central Tapanuli's regent Masinton Pasaribu reported that as of Friday, November 28, 2025, 33 people were still unaccounted for.
“Thousands of households remain cut off and require immediate evacuation,” he said, highlighting the scale of the disaster and the challenges facing rescue teams.
Residents awaiting evacuation are concentrated in Hutanabolon Neighborhood V Siantar Gunung, Saormanggita Village, S. Kalangan II Village, areas around SMP Satu Atap Tukka, and Haloban Bair Village. So far, 307 people have been moved to safer locations.
The evacuees are being sheltered at the Pandan Sports Arena, with additional facilities set up at the Sibuluan Indah Grand Mosque, Taqwa Muhammadiyah Mosque, and Muhammadiyah II Sibuluan Vocational School.
Among those evacuated, 185 are adults, 109 are children, 43 are infants, and 10 are elderly. These shelters also serve as public kitchens to provide food for residents.
Masinton added that his administration is managing medical treatment for disaster victims, with 26 people still receiving inpatient care at hospitals and healthcare facilities.
“We are preparing emergency response documents and coordinating with the National Food Security Agency to ensure food needs at public kitchens are met,” he said.
Central Tapanuli is among the hardest-hit areas in North Sumatra, alongside South Tapanuli, Mandailing Natal, North Tapanuli, Nias, and the cities of Gunung Sitoli and Sibolga.
Preliminary data from the North Sumatra Regional Disaster Management Agency reports 48 confirmed deaths across the province, with several more people still missing.
Editor’s Choice: Indonesian Gov't Sends Four Aircraft to Aid Flood-Stricken Areas in Sumatra
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
Walhi: 7 Companies Responsible for Environmental Damage Behind North Sumatra Floods
1 jam lalu

Walhi said the flash floods and landslides were not just caused by Tropical Cyclone Senyar, but were also worsened by deforestation in affected areas.
Indonesian Gov't Sends Four Aircraft to Aid Flood-Stricken Areas in Sumatra
2 jam lalu

The Indonesian government dispatched four aircraft to assist with natural disaster relief in three affected provinces, namely Aceh, North Sumatra, and West Sumatra on Friday, November 28, 2025.
Lawmaker Urges Prabowo to Declare Emergency Response Amid North Sumatra Floods
2 jam lalu

North Sumatra lawmaker Hinca Ikara Putra Pandjaitan urges President Prabowo to declare disaster response amid severe floods.
Sibolga Mayor Reportedly Out of Contact Amid North Sumatra Floods
3 jam lalu

This event occurred amidst the flood and landslide disasters that hit Sibolga, North Sumatra, at the end of November.
Floods, Landslides Damage Bridges and Water Facilities in Sumatra
4 jam lalu

The Ministry of Public Works is continuing to identify the damage caused by the floods and landslides in Sumatra.
Tropical Cyclone Senyar Weakens, While Koto Persists
5 jam lalu

Tropical Cyclone Koto is moving further away from Indonesia but still triggers the potential for extreme rainfall in the Riau Islands.
What Diseases Running Rampant During Floods?
12 jam lalu

Be cautious of these 10 diseases that are the most risky during a flood situation.
North Sumatra Governor Bobby Nasution Declares Disaster Emergency Status Following Fatal Floods
14 jam lalu

North Sumatra Governor Bobby Nasution has officially declared a state of disaster emergency after floods and landslides hit 14 regencies and cities.
Floods and Landslides Kill at Least 12 in West Sumatra as Extreme Weather Persists
14 jam lalu

High-velocity floodwater struck houses along the banks of Minturun River.
Prabowo Calls for Ministries' Swift Handling of Natural Disasters
16 jam lalu

Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto has urged his ministers to swiftly coordinate the handling of disaster-struck regions.













































