
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - An incident of gunfire exchange occurred at a security checkpoint near the White House on Saturday evening, May 23, 2026 local time, triggering a lockdown at the White House complex.
According to Al Jazeera, the incident began around 18:00 local time at the intersection of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC.
According to a statement from the Secret Service, the suspected man approached the security checkpoint and pulled out a pistol from his bag. The perpetrator had previously been ordered to stay away from the area but still approached the White House before opening fire. He shot at the guarding officers.
The Secret Service agents then returned fire and struck the perpetrator. The man identified as Nasire Best, 21 years old, was taken to the hospital before being pronounced dead.
US President Donald Trump was at the White House when the shooting occurred and was unharmed. No Secret Service agents were injured in the incident.
The NBC News team at the location reported hearing approximately 20 to 30 gunshots around 18:04 local time. The Secret Service agents then urged journalists in the North Lawn area to seek shelter in the press briefing room.
Al Jazeera journalist, Kimberly Halkett, reported hearing more than 30 shots from the North Lawn area of the White House. Journalists at the scene were instructed to take cover in the press briefing room, while the police closed off access around the incident site.
During the lockdown, Secret Service agents stood guard with weapons drawn around the press briefing room. The lockdown at the White House area was lifted around 18:46 local time.
The Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Kash Patel, stated that the FBI was assisting in the investigation along with the Secret Service, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the Metropolitan Police Department of Washington.
Vice President of the United States JD Vance was reported to have been at the White House on the same day, but it is not yet known if he was still at the location when the shooting occurred.
Read: White House Shooting: At Least Two Injured
Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News
White House Shooting: At Least Two Injured
2 jam lalu

A shooting occurred Saturday afternoon, May 23, 2026, near the White House in the US, injuring at least two people, including the shooter.
US: White House Locked Down After Shots Fired
5 jam lalu

There was a massive emergency police response after gunshots were heard near the White House, where President Donald Trump was working.
US Judge Orders Trump White House to Comply With Presidential Records Act
3 hari lalu

US federal judge has ordered White House staff under President Donald Trump to continue complying with the Presidential Records Act.
White House Press Dinner Shooting Suspect Pleads Not Guilty
12 hari lalu

A California man has been charged with attempting to assassinate Trump at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner.
Person Shot Near Washington Monument, US Secret Service Says
19 hari lalu

The White House was briefly locked down on Monday after the US Secret Service said an individual was shot by law enforcement near Washington Monument.
FBI Reviews Security Protocols for White House Press Conferences
26 hari lalu

FBI Director Kash Patel will overhaul security for Donald Trump's next White House press conference.
Who Is Cole Allen, the White House Dinner Breach Suspect?
26 hari lalu

New details emerge about Cole Allen, the 31-year-old teacher identified as the suspect in the White House Correspondents' Association dinner shooting.
Trump Says Shooting Won't Dissuade Him from Iran War
27 hari lalu

President Trump stated that the shooting incident at the White House Correspondents' Dinner will not deter him from the Iran war.
What to Know About Suspected Shooter at Trump's White House Dinner
27 hari lalu

The Washington Police said a suspect has been apprehended after firing shots at a dinner attended by Trump.
Washington Shooting: Trump Unhurt, World Leaders Condemn Violence
27 hari lalu

President Donald Trump was evacuated after gunfire at the annual White House Correspondents' Dinner where journalists and celebrities were gathered.














































